At Format (https://www.format.com/) we are focused on developing online products that improve the lives of creative professionals. Our flagship product, Format.com, makes it easy to build a professional portfolio website. Tens of thousands of creative professionals across all countries worldwide use our platform to beautifully showcase their work online, attract clients, and grow their careers.
We’re looking for a Front-End Developer, working remotely, to join our team of talented and passionate designers and developers for a 12 month maternity leave contract. The position begins in April 2017 and ends in May 2018.
You’ll be working with our Marketing and Design teams to take high level designs and requirements and implement them across our various marketing properties. You should have a keen attention to detail and the ability to create a simple yet remarkable user experience.
You’re excited at the idea of turning beautiful designs into compelling marketing results which are responsive and look amazing to both people and search engines. Some examples of our recently launched or updated marketing projects include:
Every member of our team is expected to ship top-notch work and take complete ownership of their responsibilities. In return, this is an incredible opportunity to get down into the trenches of a growing business and product, work with cutting-edge technologies, be immersed in a seriously awesome company culture, and solve challenging problems daily.
- You know the DOM inside and out, including browser-specific quirks
- You have an understanding and can implement responsive layouts in multiple breakpoints
- You are comfortable with (or eager to learn) Haml/SCSS/CoffeeScript
- You have a strong eye for typography, colour, and layout
- You can transform design mockups into working software
- You can create modular, flexible, and maintainable CSS
- You can make informed technology and implementation decisions and justify them
- You can accurately set and meet deadlines
Bonus Points if:
- You have an understanding of Git or version control in general
- You have tried out Ruby on Rails
- You enjoy debating with others to advocate for what you think is best
- You enjoy tinkering with new and interesting technologies for evaluation
Why Join Format?
- We strive to deliver a world-class experience for our customers by delivering exceptional work that we’re proud of.
- We emphasize a highly collaborative and egalitarian environment. Everyone builds things and collaborates across departments. The best solution can come from anywhere or anyone.
- We’re fierce defenders of a healthy work-life balance. We work smart, not long.
- Everyone has the freedom to influence the choice of tools and technologies. Some additions and updates to our stack in the past year include:
• Jest snapshot tests
• React v15
• Rails 126.96.36.199
- Respect, trust, and honesty. Personal and professional maturity is important to us, and we keep each other honest.
- We pay competitive salaries and have flexible vacation and work-from-home policies
- We provide great benefits: extended health, dental, life, and disability
- We frequently celebrate our achievements after work (or in the middle of the day if it’s sunny)
- We have an amazing team that will be eager to help you succeed in your role. Learn more about us: http://wayswework.io/features/format
As this is a remote position, we're looking for someone well-suited to remote work. You should:
- Be willing to come visit us in Toronto once in a while (travel paid by us, of course).
- Be comfortable with a workday that overlaps at least a few hours daily with our timezone (EST).
- Be comfortable working independently and able to set your own priorities.
- Have a propensity towards action. You don't like waiting for someone to wake up on the other side of the world and you'll figure out how to move forward on your own
- Be a great written communicator. Most of your interaction with the rest of the company will be over Slack, e-mail, and other messages.
Your typical day at Format will involve:
- Quickly syncing up with the team (both in Toronto and Warsaw) over Slack about what’s getting done today, and also meeting in person with our Warsaw team from time to time.
- Minimal meetings. When we meet, we have specific goals and we aim to achieve those goals as efficiently as possible so that everyone can get back to building stuff.
- Writing code that drives a great user experience.
How to apply for this position:
If this sounds like you then get in touch! You’ll love working here, we promise.
This is a full-time position based in Toronto, ON.
To apply, please fill visit: https://format.typeform.com/to/bro2jn
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please.
Format is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive. You will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, or age.