Summary: An exciting role in a digital health start-up for an experienced (5+ yrs) Ruby on Rails developer who is interested in training and coaching developers, while also still owning some feature development. Can be full-time or part-time, contract or permanent, remote (2 days a month in office) or in Oxford.
Who are we? Hero Health is transforming the way in which consumers access health and wellness services. Our aspiration is to provide consumers with one digital location for accessing paid-for medical appointments (e.g. physio, dentist, private GP) and wellness services (e.g., gym classes, personal trainers).
We’re an established business with a team of 10, including 6 developers. We’re looking for a Rails expert to join the team, working remotely with occasional trips to our offices in Oxford, UK.
Why will it be great? You will play a key role in the progression of our junior developers, so if you get a kick out of seeing developers grow under your tuition then this will be a great job for you. We push new features live on a daily basis, and are co-located with a number of clients, so we get user feedback in real-time – essentially expect your work to have an immediate and visible impact.
Who will fit well? If coaching/mentoring is not in your DNA, then this probably won’t work well. We need someone who can empower our team, and help our more inexperienced developers grow and over-time ultimately transition to leading their own dev teams. We are also looking for someone who knows Rails like the back of their hand. You should be able to translate business needs into code in a dynamic fashion, and should thrive on development challenges. An interest in consumer facing tech or healthcare is a bonus.
- Work with the lead developer to enhance our agile working practices (sprints, scrum, code reviews) and cloud technologies
- Work with the lead developer and product owner to help clarify product requirements at the onset of projects, and suggest the best approach for overcoming technical challenges
- Contribute to and challenge our tech ‘ways of working’ and proactively approach the lead developer with suggestions for how to improve our overall operating model
- Support the team in understanding the needs of our customers and translating this into code
- Apprenticing junior developers
- Willing to work independently to overcome barriers, and think creatively to enhance our product in order to stay ahead of the market
- Maintain performance and responsiveness of systems
- Strong programming skills in Ruby on Rails (5+ years of experience)
- An advocate of best practices, including static checkers, automated BDD tests, code coverage
- Exposure to agile working practices (sprints, scrum, code reviews), and cloud technologies e.g., AWS, Heroku
- Experience of software architecture and working with business teams when building products
- Excellent interpersonal skills, so that you can contribute to creating a great office environment
- Willing to work from our offices in Summertown, Oxford at least twice a month
- An eye for design and UX
- An interest in healthcare or consumer facing products
- An interest in managing and coaching junior developers
- Knowledge end experience of building and maintaining CI systems
Salary & Benefits
- Dependent on experience
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Buy additional days annual leave
- Please send a cover note, your CV and examples of your work (i.e., github or open source code) to email@example.com